Sunday, April 21, 2013

sound stuff ..

During the last 4 weeks I turned my attention to iOS 6 sound processing. As far as I know, there isn't really an app that adds a REAL equalizer to iOS' native music player, yet.

Yesterday I finished a real working BiQuad - EQ addon with an extra BassBoost plugin for Music.app (screenshot below).

Video Demo:




Update (June 9th):

It's been a while since the last news update. I'm sorry, but I couldn't go on working on ipEQ because we had a school trip to Rome. Nice city btw.

Ok, I made some progress with the bugs and the Save/Load feature is (almost) perfectly working. (See screenshots).























Update (May 18th): Crashing bugs

(old message deleted)

I just realized that it was not my fault causing ipEQ to fail on some devices.
See this question on SO (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15351507/issue-with-mtaudioprocessingtap-on-device) and have a look at the first answer.

There is a bug in the MTAudioProcessingTap class (which is also used in ipEQ) causing instant abortion of playback on iOS 6.0 - iOS 6.1.

If you aren't on iOS 6.1 - iOS 6.1.3 then I'm sorry for you.


IMPORTANT INFO REGARDING IPAD VERSION:

Unfortunately, there won't be an iPad version unless an iOS 6.1.3 JB is available for iPad mini (as I crashed the whole OS today and had to restore to v 6.1.3). I'll focus on the iPhone version instead to improve crash prevention and preset management.

~chef

Update (May 10th): 

Three things:

1.) AirPlay Fix Button Overlay fix:

I moved the button next to the shuffle button. Will be included in the upcoming 1.0.1 update.
EQ button is now next to the shuffle button

2.) iPad version almost finished:

Look at this (captured on an iPad mini):



3.) More filters:

You may have noticed, that there are four more filters (on the 2nd picture).
Explanation:

LPF - Low Pass Filter
HPF - High Pass Filter
BPF - Band Pass Filter
NTC - Notch Filter
PEQ - Peaking Band Filter
LSH - Low Shelf Filter
HSH - High Shelf Filter

They'll be available in a later update, because they're not working properly (yet) !


Update (May 7th): I'm sorry about the AirPlay bug! I'll try to solve this problem as soon as possible (within this week) !

Update (May 4th): It will be live tomorrow or on Monday!

Update (May 2nd): Alright, today I submitted the iPhone version to BigBoss Repo, just waiting for a response!

Here's how it looks like:


appearance of the eq controls
integrates directly into Music.app

SO YEAH. 


It will be $ 2.00, please be an honest customer to support future development. :-)

An iPad version is almost finished, coming soon!


Cheers!





27 comments:

  1. finally a real equalizer for ios. you are the best ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I need a peak/notch filter also.. Pack up a sbsettings toggle and some simple preset manager too and we'll have a killer app!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peak & Notch filters are finished. They're coming with the v 1.1 update!
      Preset management isn't ready yet ;-)

      Delete
    2. awesome! one thing I don't understand: do these filters work one a time, or can they work simultaneously?
      I just need two of them at the same time. And a simple toggle
      not nested in damned submenus, like the original ios eq. (I don't really mind a preset manager...). thanks :)

      Delete
  3. finally! I have been looking for something like this a long time! Thank you!
    Will there be forward work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will definitely be forward development. :-)

      Delete
  4. Please fix the problem much use after the equalizer stops working. Also to close the music app settings made are lost.

    And thanks for this great tweak!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi

      There seems to be an issue with unusual mp3/aac format properties. I'm already trying to figure it out.

      Delete
    2. and a way to save the settings?

      Delete
    3. as I already mentioned in previous comments, preset management and save/load feature are in development..

      Delete
    4. Ok, sorry, thanks again!!

      Delete
  5. i just purchased our ipEQ app, but it doesn`t work. when i hit the play-button, the music won`t start.

    i`m using an iphone 4s. IOS 6.0.1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is an aac/mp3 format issue. I'm already working on that. :-P

      Delete
    2. One question. Does this happen with every song in your Music library or is it just always the same one?

      Delete
    3. it happens with every song. before i payed for the app i downloaded it from another source to try it out, could that be the cause?

      Delete
    4. unfortunately this isn't the cause, this app hasn't DRM implemented yet.
      I'll try to fix this bug and (thank your for reminding me) I'm going to implement a DRM too ;-)

      Delete
  6. Love the bass boost option, hate the fact that it doesn't save my settings so I have to set it every time. I hope in your next update, you'll allow it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crap. I just purchased, app not working. iOS 6.0.1, iPhone 5. POO!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, posting bad comment instead of contacting me directly might not be the best idea. However, you can (and SHOULD) contact me via e-mail explaining what problem you are exactly facing.

      Delete
    2. Fantastic work Chef! Thanks for the app, it's changed how I listen to music!!

      Delete
    3. I want to know why it messed up my music and sound threw my headphones after I deleted amplifier??? Help

      Delete
    4. I responded to your e-mail.
      As already said, once ipEQ has been deleted, it WILL NOT affect the sound output anymore.

      Delete
  8. Hey chef when i use ipeq the music app when i press play automatically it stops it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a look on the updated post.
    I assume your device is on iOS 6.0.x ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes im on ios 6 but i want to use ipeq soooo bad

    ReplyDelete